Saturday 1 June 2013

The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox

It's never a good day when an ancient demon shows up on your toilet bowl. For Lizzie Brown that's just the beginning. Soon her hyperactive terrier starts talking and her long-lost biker witch Grandma is hurling Smuckers jars filled with magic. Just when she thinks she's seen it all Lizzie learns she's a demon slayer - and all hell is after her.

Of course that's not the only thing after her. Dimitri Kallinikos a devastatingly handsome shape-shifting griffin needs Lizzie to slay a demon of his own. But how do you talk a girl you've never met into going straight to the underworld? Lie. And if that doesn't work how dangerous could a little seduction be...?


Lizzie's adopted so when her maternal grandmother contacts her, she's excited to meet her ... until she locks her in her bathroom and then a demon attacks (from the toilet?). Turns out she's a demon slayer and her grandmother needs her help - her coven (yup, granny's a witch - a biker witch) needs Lizzie to slay a demon that they've been hiding from for several decades. When she comes into her powers, she also gets a protector - one she has the hots for - who also needs her help but, of course, doesn't just ask for it.

OK, so I wavered in my rating for this one - the beginning had me groaning at how horrid it was. Jars filled with random crap that happen to be spells? Demons coming from the toilet? And an annoying little talking dog? *groan* I had to really think about whether I wanted to keep reading it.

I stuck with it and, thankfully, the fairly interesting story sort of made it readable. Don't get me wrong all those things I listed, still exist and still make it annoying. Granny's biker covenmates are horrible characters, I just didn't like them at all. The dog gets a little less annoying but makes me glad my dog doesn't talk if that's what they're like.

This is not a book for anyone that likes something to sink their teeth into. It's a very light and fluffy read, not to be taken seriously. I've added the 2nd book to my GR TBR list 'cos I really just want to see what happens.


Amazon UK: The Accidental Demon Slayer

No comments:

Post a Comment