Saturday 15 September 2012

Gale Force by Rachel Caine

Never off duty, that was me. Joanne Baldwin: Weather Warden - if a world-ending storm blew up without notice, I was the go-to girl.

When Joanne's Djinn lover, David, asks her to marry him, she's thrilled to say yes, but there are certain parties - some human, some otherwise - who are less than enthusiastic.

Joanne's premarital bliss ends when a devastating earthquake hits Florida. And this time she won't be able to ask David and his kind for assistance. The cause of the quake is unlike anything Joanne has ever encountered - and it is fuelled by a power even the Djinn cannot perceive.


Jo and David's upcoming nuptials are put to the test when an earthquake ruins the first bridal shop that Jo attends. An earthquake caused by something unknown to the wardens and unseen by the Djinn, a fact that the Djinn can't believe so they think the Wardens are suffering a mass hallucination. Turns out there's a new bad in town, a group called The Sentinels, they don't like the Djinn and they really don't like Jo since she's going to marry one. Jo fights for her life as the Wardens fight to save the world without the reporters spilling everything to the inhabitants of it.

So I waited ages for this to come out over here and it turns out the covers were changed anyway, seems they've been changed to look a bit more like the Morganville books. And even though I waited ages for it and bought it as soon as it was available, other books got in the way and I actually forgot I had it on my shelf. Until I read Devil's Bargain and was reminded of my love for Rachel Caine's writing.

And I am SO glad I picked it up! Completely forgot how much I loved David and his and Jo's relationship, and I do like when we get confirmation of their feelings for one another. Although I had several scares on whether it was going to last, as with other books there are complications with the whole human-Djinn thing so there are always the gasp-out-loud moments that fill me with honest-to-goodness fear!

Can't believe I forgot about this series, have been on Amazon already to make sure I have the last two books in the series.


Book Depository: Gale Force
Amazon UK: Gale Force

No comments:

Post a Comment