Saturday 31 March 2012

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Release Date 22nd May 2012

So mermaids (and men) seem to be the new thing in YA books, although this book calls them by a different name, they are still merpeople. I do like the new story Anna Banks has given them, that they are descendants of Poseidon and Triton, who were Syrenas that people treated as Gods. Every 3 generations of direct Triton & Poseidon descendants must mate to keep the gifts of each one running. But trouble has befallen (befell?) the Syrenas and Galen, Syrena prince, thinks he's found the answer.

I found Anna Banks writing to be very enjoyable and easy to read, her characters were well written and very likeable. I, along with what I'm sure will be hundreds of pre-teens and teens, swooned over Galen and, to a lesser extent and in a different manner, Toraf. Emma started out kind of annoying but turned into a good, strong leading lady, I think it may have been Chloe that made her seem annoying so I'm kind of glad she was only in it at the beginning. One downfall was how easy the ending was to guess, I had it figured out a long time before it happened.

Of Poseidon is a nice addition to the supernatural YA trend. I'll definitely be reading the next in this series.


Book Depository: Of Poseidon
Amazon UK: Of Poseidon

1 comment:

  1. I've been eyeing on this book ages. I was really salivating to read it. So when it came out in Amazon, I hurriedly bought an ebook copy. This is my second time to read a book about mermaids. My first one was from Cole Gibsen, called Breathless. I really enjoyed that book. So I was a little afraid to read "Of Poseidon" since I have high hopes for it. Oh boy, this book didn't put me down. It was that good!

    The story is about Syrenas. They are mermaids who are under two kingdoms, Triton's and Poseidon's. There is feud between them. And Galen is convinced that Emma holds the key in uniting the two kingdoms. But things are not that easy, there are loads of unanswered questions. Who is Emma? Where did her abilities came from? You have to read this book to find out.

    ReplyDelete