Thursday 29 March 2012

Moonstone by Marilee Brothers

A sickly mom. A tiny house trailer. High school bullies and snarky drama queens. Bad-guy dudes with charming smiles. Allie has problems. And then there's that whole thing about fulfilling a magical prophecy and saving the world from evil. Geez.

Welcome to the sad, funny, sometimes-scary world of fifteen-year-old Allie Emerson, who's struggling to keep her and her mom's act together in the small-town world of Peacock Flats, Washington. An electrical zap from a TV antenna sets off Allie's weird psychic powers. The next thing she knows she's being visited by a hippy-dippy guardian angel, and then her mysterious neighbor, the town "witch," gives her an incredible moonstone pendant that has powers only a good-hearted "Star Seeker" is meant to command. "Who, me?" is Allie's first reaction. But as sinister events begin to unfold, Allie realizes she's got a destiny to live up to. If she can just survive everyday life, in the meantime.


This is the first in the Unbidden Magic series. I got the whole series for review from Netgalley so I'm going to do one book at a time in review but publish them all at the same time when I've finished. So, on with the review!

Allie gets a moonstone from the town "witch" because she has the "gift", she finds out this gift having is in fact true. She has telekinetic powers. But they come at a price, people want her moonstone and they'll happily kill her and her family to get it.

I enjoyed Allie, although she did seem a bit naive at the beginning I soon found this wasn't really true. She's been forced to grow up fast after her mother decided she had fibromyalgia (after seeing it on Oprah), so she's not as young as she appears. I'm glad she didn't turn out to be naive and could actually stand up for herself, I'm sick of reading YAs that have a weak, immature, naive main character. I know they're YAs and therefore have kids as the main characters but they should still be strong enough to lead a book.

Brothers has a nice writing style that kept me intrigued and wanting to read the rest of the book (always a bonus!). I can't wait to read the rest of the series, luckily I have them on my kindle all lined up.


Book Depository: Moonstone
Amazon UK: Moonstone

No comments:

Post a Comment